The Law only speaks to one group – unbelievers. And it shuts everyone up! But thankfully, apart from the Law we can enjoy being 100% right with God for free. And God’s need for justice has been fully satisfied: The wages of sin is death. Jesus died. Do the math and celebrate!
Does this mean we bash the Law or hate the Law? No, it means the opposite: Those who opt for God’s grace are the only ones who truly respect the Law as both perfect and impossible!
So, I hope this message on the second half of Romans 3 causes you to brag on Jesus like never before!
Discussion Questions for Romans 3:19-31:
- Read verses 19-20. In review, who does the Law speak to and what does it say?
- Read verses 21-22. What significance does “apart from the Law” hold? And in your own words, what is “righteousness”?
- Read verse 24. How is “justification” more than just being forgiven?
- Read verse 25. What is “propitiation”? What is God trying to tell us in using this word?
- Read verse 26. How is God both “just” and “the justifier”? (Hint: Consider the wages of sin.)
- Read verses 27-28. Why doesn’t the Gospel lead us into arrogance?
- Read verses 29-30. How does this speak to those who claim there’s one message for Jews and a different message for Gentiles today?
- Read verse 31. What does “establish the Law” mean here? (Hint: It’s only those who opt for God’s grace instead that truly respect the perfect and impossible standard of the Law.)